Children participating in our 3 year old programs are actively involved in a high quality Early Childhood program relating to individual needs and interests.
Through a play based program, children learn about themselves and their environment. Positive attitudes to life are developed through acquiring appropriate social and communication skills. There is a greater emphasis on Social Development and Emotional regulation in these programs which helps to prepare children for attendance in 4 year old programs the following year.
3 year old program is not funded by the State Government, therefore the fees are higher than four year old kindergarten. There are no government subsidies for 3 year old programs however your child may be eligible for Early Start Kindergarten, please see below for further information.
PLEASE NOTE – A child who attends a three year old kindergarten program will not automatically be enrolled or guaranteed a place at the same preschool in the four year old program.
Early Start Kindergarten Grants
Early Start Kindergarten (ESK) is designed to enable children who can most benefit from early childhood education access to two years of a kindergarten service.
Early Start Kindergarten provides free or low cost kindergarten to eligible 3 year old children where programs are offered by a qualified teacher for up to 15 hours per week for 40 weeks per year.
Children may attend in a three-year-old kindergarten program, a mixed age program or a four-year-old kindergarten program. Children are eligible for Early Start Kindergarten if:
- they are aged 3 by 30th April in the year they will be attending a kindergarten program and your child is Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, or
- your family has had contact with Child Protection or been referred by them to Child FIRST.
Further information on Early Start Kindergarten can be found at www.education.vic.gov.au/childhood/parents/kindergarten/pages/earlystart.aspx
When is my child eligible to attend?
Children are eligible for three year old kindergarten if they turn three prior to 30 April in the year they attend.
|If your child was born during
||Your child is eligible to attend the 3 year old program in
|May 1 2016 – April 30 2017
|May 1 2017 – April 30 2018
|May 1 2018 – April 30 2019
|May 1 2019 – April 30 2020
- Please note children who turn 3 years old between the commencement of Term 1 and 30th April will be allocated a position but cannot attend without a parent or guardian present during the entire session until they turn 3 years old. This is to ensure that we are meeting the regulations around child and staff ratios for children under 3 years of age.
- Parents accepting a position for a child, who will not have turned 3 years by the commencement of Term 1, are still required to pay the full term fees to secure the place, even if the child does not attend. You may choose to enrol closer to your child’s birthday to avoid paying fees, however we cannot guarantee there will be vacancies at that time.
- Should your child turn 3 years of age after 30th April, you may still apply for enrolment however this is subject to availability at that time. Children will not be able to commence until they have turned 3 years old. As your child will not be eligible for 4 year old kindergarten the following year, you will need to sign an acknowledgement letter that your child will re-enrol in 3 year old program in 2021.